Besan Bhindi Recipe: Simple and quick dry bhindi recipe made by coating it with spiced besan or chickpea flour. It is a popular rajasthani cuisine dry side dish recipe that is usually served with roti or chapathi or even with dal rice. The spiced besan mixture can be prepared in minutes and the recipe for besan wali bhindi is extremely simple.
Besan bhindi is a no onion, no garlic recipe, unlike any other traditional north Indian curry recipe. This recipe uses only dry besan coated with spice powders such as red chilli, garam masala, and amchur. After coating, the okra is pan-fried until crisp and served hot.
Rajasthani cuisine recipes, particularly curries, are mostly dry with a tomato and onion based sauce. One such recipe that fits Rajasthan’s demographic, weather, and climate is besan bhindi. In fact, I’ve shared a few other rajasthani dry sabzi recipes, such as mirchi ki sabzi, dahi bhindi, dahi papad ki sabzi, and they all share the same characteristics and features. All of these curries are either dry coated with besan or made with a yoghurt base, with no tomato or onion sauce.
In addition, some important tips, recommendations, and serving suggestions for this besan bhindi recipe are provided. First and foremost, I strongly advise using tender and fresh bhindi or okra in this recipe. Otherwise, you may notice more fibre and less juice in the bhindi while eating. Second, while chopping the okra, make sure to wipe it dry to remove any moisture. Otherwise, it may release its sticky latex, making the entire experience unpleasant. Finally, the same spice masala can be used to stuff the bhindi to make stuffed bhindi or bharwan bhindi masala.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Besan Bhindi Recipe Card:
Besan Bhindi recipe
For the masala:
- 1/4 tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1 tsp aamchur / dry mango powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 10 bhindi / okra (sliced)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp fennel / saunf
- pinch of hing / asafoetida
- 2 tbsp onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp besan / gram flour
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Recipe for besan bhindi with step-by-step instructions:
- To begin, combine 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp aamchur, and 1/2 tsp salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Make sure all of the spices are well combined.
- Now stir in the sliced bhindi.
- Make sure the spices are well coated and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat in a kadai 3 tablespoons oil, sputter 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon fennel, and a pinch of hing
- 2 tbsp onion and 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste sautéed
- Sauté 2 tbsp besan on low heat for 5 minutes, or until the besan becomes aromatic.
- Sauté for a minute after adding the prepared bhindi masala mix.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the bhindi is completely cooked.
- Make sure the bhindi turns dark and is completely cooked.
- additionally 1/4 teaspoon garam masala and 1 tablespoon coriander leaves mix well.
- Finally, serve the besan bhindi masala with rice or roti.
- First, adjust the spice to achieve the desired level of heat.
- Use tender bhindi more often for a richer flavour.
- Furthermore, roast the besan on a low flame to prevent it from becoming bitter.
- Finally, when cooked properly, besan bhindi masala recipe tastes delicious.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.