Shimla Mirch Masala Recipe: A simple, easy, and rich curry with peanuts, dry coconut, and capsicum in a gravy base Unlike other traditional Punjabi curries, this one has a unique combination of spices and nuts, making it a one-of-a-kind curry. The capsicum curry goes well with various types of Indian flat bread or a rice recipe of your choice.
In Indian households, quick and easy curry or gravy-based recipes are always in high demand. The recipe must be tasty and, more importantly, must use only ingredients found in the kitchen. Capsicum masala with onion and tomato base is one such rich and creamy gravy-based curry recipe.
When compared to other north Indian or punjabi curries, the recipe for capsicum masala or shimla mirch ki sabji is unique. Punjabi gravies are typically made with onion and tomato, as well as cashew paste and cream. However, in this recipe, I used a slightly different base. Basically, I combined peanuts, sesame, dry coconut, and red chilies with onion and tomato paste. The addition of peanuts and coconut thickens and flavours it, but the addition of red chilies makes it spicy and flavorful. Furthermore, the diced capsicum and onions give the gravy a hint of sweetness. As a result, it can be served as a complete meal for lunch or dinner.
Also included are some simple tips, suggestions, and variations for this creamy capsicum masala recipe, also known as shimla mirch ki sabji. First and foremost, do not skimp on the quality of the capsicum; instead, use fresh and tender capsicum for this recipe. Furthermore, I have diced it into medium-sized cubes; you can finely chop it and mix it into the curry. Second, you can play around with the recipe by adding other supporting vegetables to make it more flavorful. As an alternative, you can add corn, potatoes, or even finely chopped spinach. Finally, if you are allergic to nuts, you can leave them out of the masala.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Shimla Mirch Masala Recipe Card:
Shimla Mirch Masala Recipe
To make masala paste:
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp sesame / til
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1/4 tsp methi / fenugreek
- few curry leaves
- 6 dried red chilli
- 1/4 cup dry coconut / kopra
For the curry:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 capsicum (cubed)
- 1 onion (petals)
- 1 tomato (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup tamarind extract
- 2 tbsp coriander (chopped)
- First, dry roast 2 tbsp peanuts in a pan until they become crunchy and the skin separates.
- Add in 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, roasted until aromatic
- Allow to cool completely before transferring to the small mixer.
- In the same pan, combine 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon methi.
- 1 minute roasting
- Add a few curry leaves, 6 dried red chilies, and 14 cup dry coconut.
- Roast the coconut until it turns golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring to the same mixi.
- Now, without adding any water, blend to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large kadai and sauté 1 tsp cumin.
- Sauté 1 onion, followed by 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste.
- In addition, saute 2 capsicums and 1 onion for 2 minutes.
- Cook until the onions have shrunk slightly.
- Add 1 tomato and sauté until softened.
- Now stir in 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Sauté for a minute after adding the prepared masala.
- Now stir in 1/2 cup tamarind extract.
- Adjust the consistency with water as needed.
- Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until the oil separates.
- Finally, stir in 2 tablespoons coriander and serve capsicum masala curry with roti.
- To begin, do not overcook capsicum as they will become mushy.
- Adjust the amount of water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Add different coloured capsicum to make it look more appealing.
- Finally, spicy capsicum masala curry recipe is delicious.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.