Quinoa Upma Recipe: Upma is a savory breakfast dish made with vegetables, spices, and quick-cooking grains like coarse semolina (hot wheat cereal), rice cereal, or rice flakes. Upma is typically served for breakfast or as a snack. With whole grains, it can also be served as a side dish, similar to pilaf.
Quinoa upma recipe with step-by-step instructions – a quick and easy breakfast recipe of quinoa upma with mixed vegetables. This is a vegan recipe.
Quinoa, also known as ‘keenwah’ or ‘kinuwa,’ is a crop grown for its edible seeds. Quinoa is another superfood. It is beneficial for both vegetarians and vegans because it is a good source of protein. It also contains a lot of iron, manganese, and phosphorus.
Cooked quinoa has a soft, chewy texture with a crunch. Cooked seeds have a nutty taste. When the seeds are cooked, they become translucent.
Quinoa is not indigenous to India. As a result, these seeds have no name in Hindi. Amaranth is a seed that is native to India, similar to quinoa. Amaranth, like quinoa, has a high nutrient profile and is inexpensive in India. In Hindi, amaranth is also known as rajgira or ramdana. If you can find amaranth (seeds or flour), you can use it in a variety of recipes.
Quinoa can be used in recipes that call for rice or other cereals. There are numerous possibilities. Serve quinoa upma hot or warm with coconut chutney or lemon pickle on the side.
Quinoa is used in today’s Upma recipe. Temper the spices in hot oil, then cook the onions and toast the cashews before adding the other vegetables, washed the quinoa, water, and salt, and cook until done. You can also combine cooked quinoa or millet with cooked and spiced vegetables. Upma can be made dryer if served as a side dish or wetter if served alone. If it’s too dry, add a squeeze of lemon or dress it with chutney or ketchup.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Quinoa Upma Recipe Card:
Quinoa Upma Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (170 g)
- 1 tsp musterd oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (0.5 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal split black gram or use mung dal (petite yellow lentils) urad dal split black gram or use mung dal (0.5 tsp) (petite yellow lentils)
- 1 grean chilli chopped remove seeds to adjust spice if needed
- a generous pinch of asafeotida hing optional (omit to make gluten-free or use certified gf asafetida)
- some curry leaves fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup (7 g) finely chopped red onion (7 g)
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews
- 1/2 inch ginger minced 1 tsp grated (0.5 inch)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots (64 g)
- (72.5 g) peas fresh or frozen (thawed) ( optional )
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- cilantro and lemon juice for garnish
- Wash the quinoa several times before draining and storing it.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them sizzle for 15 seconds.
- Cook for 30 seconds after adding the chilli, asafoetida, and curry leaves.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions and cashews are translucent.
- Cook for 2 minutes after adding the ginger and carrots.
- Add the quinoa and cook for 2 minutes with the vegetables.
- Cover and bring to a boil with the salt, water, and peas (if using). Reduce the heat to low-medium and cook for 15 minutes, covered. Allow the quinoa to sit for 5 minutes, covered. After that, uncover, fluff, and serve. Garnish with cilantro and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Serve as a side dish or with hot masala chai for breakfast.
- Finely quinoa upma is redy to serve.
- To make this with cooked quinoa, add 2.5 cups cooked quinoa to the pan at step 7 along with the salt, peas, and a splash of water. Combine thoroughly. Cook for 2 minutes, covered, to heat up. Allow for a 5-minute rest before serving.
- Along with the cashews, add currants or other dried fruit.
- Nutritional data based on one serving
- finely quinoa upma is redy to serve. enjoy..
What is the flavor of quinoa?
The best description we could find (from Dietriffic.com): “The flavor and texture of quinoa are similar to brown rice and oatmeal. It’s fluffy, creamy, crunchy, and nutty all at the same time.” It’s adaptable and can be prepared in a variety of ways.
What does quinoa taste like?
We found the best description (from Dietriffic.com): “The flavor and texture of quinoa are similar to brown rice and oatmeal.” “It’s fluffy, creamy, crunchy, and nutty all at once.” It’s versatile and can be cooked in a variety of ways.
Is it necessary to soak quinoa?
* Soaking grains removes some of the naturally occurring phytic acids in the grain, which improves digestibility and reduces cooking time. Cook for 12-18 minutes, or until the water is completely absorbed and the quinoa is tender. If there is any excess water, drain it.
Can I eat quinoa on a daily basis?
Quinoa is an edible plant seed. According to a Harvard Public School of Health study, eating a bowl of quinoa daily may reduce the risk of premature death from cancer, heart disease, respiratory ailments, diabetes, and other chronic diseases by 17%.
“How much quinoa should I consume per day?”
One to two cups of cooked quinoa can be consumed in a single day. In addition, quinoa should be avoided if the consumer experiences stomach aches, itchiness, or vomiting after eating it.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.