Idli Manchurian Recipe: Idli Manchurian is a popular street food recipe, particularly in South India. This Manchurian recipe combines Chinese and a traditional south Indian breakfast dish. Each bite of this idli Manchurian recipe will provide a memorable experience for your tongue.
Idli Manchurian recipe with step-by-step instructions – Idli Manchurian is a tasty way to use up leftover idlis. This spicy Indo-Chinese snack is a fusion dish that is lightly sweet and sour.
Idli Manchurian can be made with medium or large idlis or mini idlis. Idli Manchurian is a quick recipe that can be completed in 20 to 25 minutes.
I fried the idlis and chopped them into the recipe. You can chop them first and then fry them if you prefer. Idlis can also be deep-fried or shallow fried. This recipe can easily be cut in half or doubled.
When I make idlis for breakfast, I make extra for evening snacks. These idlis are typically made into idli upma or masala idli. My children, on the other hand, asked me to make idli Manchurian, which is similar to Gobi Manchurian. I wanted to try some Indian street food, so I made this delectable Manchurian recipe. I used corn and plain flour coating for these idlis. You can deep fry the idlis without the coating if you prefer.
Idli is a South Indian breakfast snack made by steaming a batter of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and rice. Because of the fermentation process, it is considered a very healthy dish.
To make dumplings for idli Manchurian, these idlis are diced and dipped in a spicy batter before frying. To make the Manchurian, the fried dumplings are tossed in a mixture of Chinese sauces and South Indian spices.
This South Indian recipe with an oriental twist is simple to prepare and enjoyed by all, including children, who have a penchant for spicy Chinese food.
This dish can be served as an appetizer or as a snack with tea, and it can also be packed in a child’s lunch box or tiffin. The dish is also suitable for a light dinner.
Follow the detailed step-by-step recipe with instructions below to make Idli Manchurian at home.
As a kid, I preferred chili idli or idli fry too hot idlis with sambar, but now nothing beats piping hot idli with sambar :). Again, toddlers and children will devour these idli-filled treats.
To make idli Manchurian, you’ll need the same ingredients as any other Indo-Chinese Manchurian recipe, such as soy sauce and spring onions. Cold idlis or refrigerated idlis from the previous day work best because they are easier to cut and fry. Even if your idlis are fresh, keep them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
This idli Manchurian recipe is so quick and easy to make that it only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Idli Manchurian can be served as a snack, packed in tiffin, or as a starter in an Indo-Chinese meal with veg fried rice, noodles, chili potatoes, and so on.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Idli Manchurian Recipe Card:
Idli Manchurian Recipe
For frying idlis:
- 5 idlis (use any idlis of your choice)
- 1/2 cup maida / all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour / corn starch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (crushed)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- water as required (to prepare smooth batter)
- oil for deep frying
To make the sauce:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped) (finely chopped)
- 1/2 capsicum (cubed)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce or add as required
- 1 tsp chilli sauce (optional)
- ▢salt to taste
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 spring onion (finely chopped) (finely chopped)
- Set aside all of the idlis that have been cut into four quarters.
Recipe for the batter:
- Mix together maida, corn flour, salt, kashmiri red chilli powder, black pepper, and soy sauce in a large mixing bowl. make a good mix
- Now, add a small amount of water and thoroughly mix it in. To make a smooth batter, combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. The batter should be the consistency of a drop.
- Each idli piece should be dipped into the batter. Deep fry them after thoroughly coating them.
- Fry until light golden brown and crispy on the other side.
- To remove excess oil, drain the fried idlis on a kitchen paper towel.
Recipe for idli manchuri:
- 2 tsp oil and chopped onion in a large kadai Cook for a minute.
- Now stir in the ginger and garlic. Cook for a minute. If you like things spicy, add some green chilies.
- Following that, fry the chopped capsicum.
- Add tomato sauce and chilli sauce to taste. Season with salt to taste.
- Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce and vinegar Cook for a minute after giving it a good stir.
- Now add the deep-fried idlis and mix well. Coat the idli pieces in the sauce thoroughly.
- Finally, mix in some chopped spring onion greens.
- Serve with mushroom fried rice or veg fried rice.
- If you don’t want to use as much oil, you can shallow fry.
- If you want a bright red colour, add a pinch of red food colouring.
- Instead of idlis, gobi can be used to make gobi manchurian.
- I used idlis made with idli rava, but you can use any leftover idlis.
- Cut the idlis into the desired shape.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.