Kadai Paneer Recipe: Perhaps a popular paneer-based main dish or gravy-based curry recipe, best served with roti or naan. Paneer is cooked in a tomato and onion gravy with a special spice powder known as kadai masala. When compared to other paneer curries, the spice powder adds a distinct flavour and taste to the curry.
Punjabi cuisine is entirely comprised of creamy and rich gravy-based curries, which are primarily served for lunch and dinner. Paneer recipes, in particular, are popular, particularly among vegetarians. One such unique, spice-infused recipe is kadai paneer, also known as karahi paneer, which is known for its unique blend of spices infused into the soft and moist paneer.
Kadai Paneer is a vibrant, tangy, spiced paneer dish that will brighten your day at any time of day. This vibrant dish is made with common Indian pantry ingredients such as onions, tomatoes, capsicum (green bell peppers), and Indian spices.
The entire dish is prepared in the Kadai, hence the name “Kadai Paneer.”
Onions, green bell peppers, and tomatoes are three essential ingredients in kadai paneer. In addition, freshly ground spices known as kadai masala are used. If you don’t have these whole spices, that’s fine.
Simply add ground spices such as turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, and coriander powder to your kadai paneer and it will taste delicious.
I’ve made kadai paneer a few times with ground spice powders, and the flavour is delicious. Having said that, the freshly pounded kadai masala adds strong and bold flavours to the recipe.
Kadai Paneer is one of the simplest yet most delicious paneer dishes. You can make it when you have unexpected guests, are too tired, or are not in the mood for an elaborate cooking process.
I’m frequently asked what the difference is between kadai paneer, paneer butter masala, and shahi paneer recipes. I figured I’d use this opportunity to get it out of the way once and for all. Essentially, the texture and perhaps colour of all of these paneer recipes are very similar, but the taste and method of preparation are completely different. Karahi paneer is spicier than the other two recipes because it includes freshly prepared kadai masala. The butter masala and shahi recipes, on the other hand, are creamier and richer. In general, shahi recipes do not include tomatoes and are made with a variety of dry nuts such as cashews and almonds. As a result, it is generally bright yellow in colour, as opposed to kadai recipes and butter masala recipes, which are either orange or reddish in colour.
Because the recipe for kadai paneer is relatively simple, I’d like to share some tips and variations to make it easier. First and foremost, I always make the kadai masala ahead of time and store it in an airtight container. Furthermore, as a variation, the spice mixture can be used in other paneer curries or gravies. Second, for a better result, use soft and tender homemade paneer cubes. You can also use store-bought paneer, but make sure to soak it in warm water for 5-10 minutes to soften it. Finally, another popular variation of this recipe is kadai paneer dry. You can prepare it by leaving it dry and not adding any water.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Kadai Paneer Recipe Card:
Kadai Paneer Recipe
To Make Kadai Masala:
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 dried kashmiri red chilli
To Make Onion Tomato Paste:
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 inch ginger (chopped)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 tomato (finely chopped)
To Make Kadai Paneer Gravy:
Recipe For Kadai Masala:
- first and foremost, dry roast 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 3 dried red chilies Fry until they become aromatic.
- Allow to cool before coarsely powdering in a mixer. set aside
Recipe For Tomato-Onion Paste:
- First, roast 3 cloves garlic and 1 inch ginger in a kadai with 2 tsp oil. Fry for a minute at a time.
- Next, add 1 chopped onion, sliced, and fry until golden brown.
- In addition, sauté 2 chopped tomatoes and 5 cashews.
- Cook until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Allow to cool completely before blending to a smooth paste without adding any water. Set aside.
Recipe For Paneer Kadai:
- First, heat 1 tbsp butter in a large kadai and sauté 1 bay leaf, 1 green chilli, and 1 tsp kasuri methi until aromatic.
- 1/2 onion petals and 1/2 cubed capsicum should also be added.
- Fry until they have shrunk slightly. They should not be completely cooked; they should be crunchy.
- Set aside the onions and capsicum. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Sauté on low heat until the spices become aromatic.
- Mix in the tomato-onion paste that has been blended.
- In addition, add 1 tsp salt and the prepared kadai masala. Adjust the masala to your liking.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until thoroughly combined.
- Cook until the masala paste begins to emit oil.
- Now, add 1/2 to 1 cup water, adjusting the consistency as needed.
- Mix in 1/2 cubes homemade paneer and 2 tbsp cream gently. Please do not break the paneer.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the paneer absorbs the flavour.
- Add 1/4 tsp garam masala and 2 tbsp coriander leaves as well. Combine thoroughly.
- Finally, serve the hot kadai paneer gravy from the restaurant with garlic naan or chapati.
- First, for a restaurant-style flavour, use butter.
- Cook the masala paste until the oil separates; this helps to enhance the flavour.
- Moreover, cut the paneer into the shape of your choice.
- In addition, make fresh kadai masala for an aromatic gravy.
- The tanginess of the gravy is due to the tomatoes. If you want to balance the tang, add some cream at the end.
- In this recipe, use fresh red and ripe tomatoes. Sour tomatoes should be avoided.
- The dish is mildly spicy. If you don’t want the dish to be spicy, reduce the amount of red chilies.
- The dry Kashmiri red chillies added here give the gravy a nice red colour when combined with the tomatoes. Kashmiri chilies are milder in flavour than other types of red chilies. If you don’t have Kashmiri chilies, you can substitute any Indian dry red chilli. Simply adjust the amount to suit the heat and pungency of the chilies.
- Finally, skip adding water when making kadai paneer dry and add water when making kadai paneer gravy.
Is there a distinction to be made between kadai paneer, shahi paneer, and paneer butter masala?
yes. Despite the fact that they are all the same colour and texture, they are not the same. The preparation method and taste differ as well. The kadai paneer is spicier than the other two because it contains freshly prepared kadai masala. whereas shahi paneer and paneer butter masala are richer, creamier, and sweeter in flavour. In addition, shahi paneer is made with dry fruits such as cashews and almonds rather than tomatoes. As a result, they are typically yellow in colour. Kadai paneer and paneer butter masala are reddish or orange in colour, with tomatoes in the gravy.
What is the flavour of the kadai paneer?
Paneer and capsicum are cooked in an onion and tomato-based gravy with freshly prepared homemade kadai masala in kadai paneer. When compared to other paneer curries, this special spice powder adds a distinct flavour and taste to the kadai paneer. Typically, kadai paneer is a bit spicy, with the flavours of freshly ground coriander, jeera, pepper, and red chillies, as well as onion tomato gravy. This goes well and is one of the best combinations for chapati, naan, rotis, and rice.
Is it necessary to cook the paneer?
how to make paneer kadai gravy
Paneer does not need to be cooked for an extended period of time to absorb all of its flavours. They will not melt like cheese because they have been curdled with lemon juice. So you can either add the cubed paneer to the gravies as is, or pan fry or fry the paneer in the oil until golden brown and then use it in the gravies. The paneer will be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside in this recipe. You can also add the fried paneer to the hot water to keep it soft. Last but not least, marinated paneer can be added to the gravy.
What is the process of making kadai masala?
recipe for kadai paneer
It is a unique homemade spice powder made from freshly ground spices. 2 teaspoons coriander, 1 teaspoon cumin, 3-4 red chilies, depending on spiciness, and 12 teaspoon pepper These are dry roasted in the pan until aromatic, then blended to a coarse powder in the mixer without adding any water. You can also make this ahead of time or double the recipe and store it in an airtight container for later use.
How do you make kadai paneer that tastes like it came from a restaurant?
To achieve the same flavour as the restaurant version, use a generous amount of butter. It is always preferable to use freshly prepared kadai masala rather than old ones. In addition, roast the kadai masala spices thoroughly before blending to a coarse powder. Cook the tomato-onion-based gravy with the kadai masala for a longer period of time on a low flame. Cook the masala paste until the oil comes to the surface. This contributes to the flavour. The longer you cook it, the more flavorful it becomes.
Is it possible to make kadai paneer pizza with kadai paneer?
yes. However, because kadai paneer is a dry sabzi rather than a gravy curry, you only need to add tomato puree to it. This contributes to the curry’s gravy. Now, the kadai paneer sauce functions similarly to a pizza sauce, and it is applied to the pizza to create kadai paneer pizza.
Is it possible to make kadai paneer gravy from dry kadai paneer?
how to make paneer kadai gravy
yes. By simply adding the required amount of water to the onion-tomato puree, kadai paneer dry can be transformed into kadai paneer gravy. In kadai paneer dry, diced onion and tomatoes are mixed with kadai masala, whereas in kadai paneer gravy, onion and tomato are blended to form a paste and then water is added to make it look like gravy.
Is kadai paneer nutritious? What material is it made of?
yes. Kadai paneer is healthy because it contains paneer, which contains a lot of proteins and calcium, an onion, which aids in immunity, ginger, which aids in the treatment of colds, coughs, and sore throats, and garlic, which aids in the reduction of cholesterol and the control of blood pressure. This includes capsicum, tomatoes, and a variety of Indian spices. All of these have their own health benefits, making kadai paneer a healthier option overall.
Is it possible to make paneer from spoiled milk?
yes. From spoiled milk, paneer can be made. Simply strain the spoiled milk through a muslin cloth. Tightly tie it for 6 to 8 hours. When you untie it after 8 hours, the paneer will be collected in the muslin cloth. You can cut it into any shape you want and use it in any dish. When stored in the refrigerator, this will keep for about 2-3 days.
What kinds of gravies can be made with paneer?
Paneer can be used to make a wide range of gravies. Some of them are kadai paneer, shahi paneer, paneer butter masala, reshmi paneer, paneer korma, lasooni paneer, paneer lababdar, paneer bhurji, paneer tikka gravy, paneer capsicum, paneer kolhapuri, paneer nawabi, kaju paneer, palak
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.
Also Read: Aloo Paneer Frankie Recipe