Veg Cutlet Recipe: A popular deep-fried snack or patties made from boiled and mushy vegetables It is a popular snack recipe, especially among vegetarian or vegan diet followers, and is typically served in the evening with a cup of tea.
Vegetable Cutlet, also known as veg cutlet, are crisp, savoury, tender patties made from a combination of hearty vegetables, savoury spices, fresh herbs, and crispy breadcrumbs. Cutlets are a popular snack in Indian cuisine, and there are numerous ways to prepare them. These vegan vegetable cutlets are pan fried to keep them healthy, but you can also deep fry or shallow fry them if you prefer.
Veg cutlet is a tasty Indian snack made with a variety of vegetables. These crispy and delicious cutlets are deep-fried, but they can also be baked, air-fried, or shallow-fried depending on one’s taste and preferences.
To make them, combine vegetables and common spice powders. They can then be formed into balls or cylinders and dipped in an all-purpose flour slurry before being deep-fried. The veg cutlet goes best with homemade green chutney or ketchup.
Vegetable cutlets are commonly served as a tea time snack with a hot cup of tea or coffee, or as an appetiser for get-togethers, house parties, or game/movie nights.
Indian cuisine includes a wide range of snacks and appetisers made primarily of vegetables and meat. One such subset in the snack category is the cutlet recipe, which is primarily a meat-based snack but has been adapted with vegetables as well.
This is one such recipe that allows you to use a variety of vegetables such as beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, beetroot, and sweet corn. As a result, it is a healthy, nutritional snack recipe. Furthermore, the veg cutlet recipe is ideal for those stubborn kids who are hesitant or do not prefer to eat vegetables. This veg cutlet’s colour and texture make it appealing and irresistible to children. I usually make vegetable cutlets with semolina / rava or breadcrumbs, which results in a whitish or brown cutlet recipe. However, in this recipe, I used crushed corn flakes to give it a bright golden brown colour.
Although the veg cutlet recipe is simple and can be prepared in a matter of minutes, I’d like to share some preparation tips and suggestions. First and foremost, as previously stated, the recipe is flexible in terms of adding vegetables. As a result, you can experiment and expand with other vegetables such as broccoli, snow peas, and leafy vegetables in addition to the vegetables used in this recipe. Second, the cutlet shape can be customised to your liking. I shaped it into a semi-cylindrical shape, but you could also use a shaper or a simple patties shape. Finally, deep fry these vegetable cutlets in small batches in a low to medium hot oil. You can also shallow fry or pan fry it, but deep frying is a much better option.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Veg Cutlet Recipe Card:
veg Cutlet Recipe
For Quick Pressure Cooking:
- 2 potato (peel & cube)
- 1/4 cup carrot (cube)
- 1/4 cup beans (chop)
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup beetroot
- 1/4 tsp salt
For The Cutlet:
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp aamchur / dry mango powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup corn flakes (crushed)
- oil for deep frying
For The Corn Flour Batter:
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp maida / plain flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- First, fill a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and keep a vessel nearby.
- 2 potato, 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup sweet corn, 1/2 cup peas, 1/2 cup beetroot, and 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook on high pressure for 5 whistles without adding any water to the vessel. Vegetables can be cooked with just steam.
- To remove excess water, drain the vegetables. Allow the vegetables to cool completely.
- Completely mash the vegetables.
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs Alternatively, bread dipped in water can be used.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp aamchur, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 tbsp coriander, and 1/4 tsp salt to taste.
- Form a dough by thoroughly combining all of the ingredients. If the vegetable mixture is too moist, add more breadcrumbs.
- Prepare the corn flour batter by combining 3 tbsp corn flour, 2 tbsp maida, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt in a mixing bowl.
- 1/4 cup water should be added to make a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Form patties out of some of the cutlet dough mixture. A cutlet mould can also be used to make different shapes of cutlets.
- Dip into the corn flour batter.
- Coat with crushed corn flakes/breadcrumbs now.
- Deep fry in hot oil for 15-20 minutes or bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- On medium heat, stir occasionally and fry until golden and crisp.
- Finally, top the veg cutlet with tomato sauce and serve.
- First, if the vegetable mixture contains too much moisture, the cutlet will break in the oil. Don’t forget to add breadcrumbs as needed.
- Also, add your favourite vegetables to make the veggie cutlet more nutritious and healthy.
- Furthermore, do not use any water when cooking vegetables because the vegetables will absorb the water and become mushy.
- In the veg cutlet, you can experiment with different spices, such as black pepper powder. Increase the number of green chilies to make them spicy.
- Simply crush the garlic, ginger, and green chile coarsely with a pestle and mortar to make a coarse paste.
- As I mentioned in the post, instead of bread crumbs, you can coat the veg cutlet with rava (cream of wheat).
- The addition of soaked bread or bread crumbs to the mixture binds the veg cutlet and keeps it from breaking while frying.
- You can also pan-fry them instead of shallow-frying them. Deep frying these can be challenging.
- Carrots, potatoes, green peas, french beans, cauliflower, broccoli, bell pepper, and corn are among the vegetables that can be added. Avoid using watery or mushy vegetables such as pumpkin, gourds, eggplant, okra, and so on.
- Add grated paneer or tofu, grated cheddar cheese, or soya granules for protein. Before adding the soya granules to the mashed vegetable mixture, prepare them as directed on the package.
- Vegetarian burgers are simple to make if you have burger buns on hand. Simply brush the buns with butter and lightly toast them. On the bun, spread mayonnaise. Place the veg cutlet in the centre of the plate. Cover it with shredded or grated cheese, or a slice of cheese. Top with shredded vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, and lettuce, or thinly sliced vegetables such as onion, tomatoes, and cucumber. Serve with tomato or mustard sauce and the other half of the bun.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled to make a large batch for a party.
- Please keep in mind that the nutrition information is for 1 vegetable cutlet.
- Finally, when prepared with a variety of vegetables and crispy, veg cutlet recipe tastes great.
What is the composition of a veg cutlet?
Recipe for cutlets – Veg cutlet is a quick tea time Indian snack made with a variety of vegetables such as potatoes, peas, beans, and carrots. Serve vegetable cutlets with green chutney or any dip as a tea time snack or appetiser.
Can I substitute Rava for the bread crumbs?
If you don’t have breadcrumbs, you can substitute rava (sooji or cream of wheat).
How do you make cutlets that don’t break?
Before you begin, heat the oil on medium heat for 6-8 minutes. Never cook these cutlets/croquettes over a high heat. Pour in enough oil to completely submerge the cutlet/croquette in the pan. Slowly add two at a time and fry until golden brown on both sides.
What can we substitute for breadcrumbs in a cutlet?
When you run out of rolled oats, here’s a list of everything you can use in place of bread crumbs. Dimitris66 Images courtesy of Getty Images …….
- sarahdoow sarahdoow sarahdoow sarahdo
- Images courtesy of Getty Images.
- Chips made from potatoes Cardoner, Victor Images courtesy of Getty Images.
- wdstock Pretzels
- Images courtesy of Getty Images.
- Crackers. Aitken, Garrett Images courtesy of Getty Images.
- … Nuts.
- Coconut shreds
What is a substitute for breadcrumbs?What are the best subs for breadcrumbs?
- Oats. Oats are the perfect substitutes for breadcrumbs in meatballs or meatloaf. …
- Crushed Chips. …
- Nuts. …
- Pretzels or Crackers. …
- Crushed Cereal.
How can I substitute breadcrumbs for POHA?
Instead of bread crumbs, use poha powder.
Weekend snacks can also become healthier without sacrificing taste! Before shallow frying the cutlets, we mostly use bread crumbs to absorb the moisture from the final vegetable mash. To increase the nutritional value, use poha powder instead of bread crumbs at this stage.
Why do fried cutlets break?
It could also be due to the type of potato used; some are overly moist when mashing, which causes problems when frying the cutlet. If your mixture or meat balls are too moist to hold their shape, add some bread crumbs to help shape them.
What are some healthy alternatives to breadcrumbs?
As an easy substitute for bread crumbs, Colorado State University Extension recommends rolled oats or cracker crumbs. For heart-healthy benefits, ground flaxseed can also be combined with oats. Parmesan cheese and ground nuts are two other options.
Can I use flour instead of breadcrumbs?
Almond flour (also known as almond meal) has a coarse texture and a nutty flavour, making it an excellent gluten-free alternative to bread crumbs. It can be used to make meatballs or meatloaf, but we especially like it to dredge meats like pork chops to create a crispy exterior.
Can I substitute cornstarch for breadcrumbs?
Cornstarch can be used to coat the patties or chicken before frying. To add flavour to the starch, mix in some garlic, chilli powder, salt, and pepper. Toss in the rinsed and dried chicken pieces.
What should be done if the cutlet breaks during the cooking process?
Begin heating the oil in the frying pan and allow it to come to a boil before tossing in the tikkis. Cold oil will break off your tikkis while you wait for the oil to heat up. Also, make sure to fry the tikki over a low flame, which will allow the tikki to cook through without becoming burnt.
What can I use instead of breadcrumbs gluten free?Thus, here are some creative gluten-free bread crumb substitutes.
- Almond Flour/Almond Meal.
- Potato Chips or Crackers.
- Rice Flour.
- Gluten Free Bread.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.
Also Read: Corn Cutlet Recipe