Fruit Bread Recipe: This recipe for fruit bread is simple, light, and healthy. This fruit bread is an eggless bread made with a higher proportion of whole wheat flour.This bread was made with candied orange peels, tutti frutti, and glazed cherries.
You can make this fruit bread more rich in nutrition by adding chopped dry fruits or nuts or seeds likeSunflower, sesame, pumpkin or even ground flax meal.
The fruit loaf is simple to prepare and pairs well with tea or coffee. Some butter can also be applied to the bread, and it tastes delicious this way. We eat them plain because that’s how we like our sweet bread slices.
This enriched Fruit Bread has a lovely golden brown crust and a soft and tender crumb. It has dried fruit (raisins, currants, and/or dried cranberries) and candied lemon and/or orange peel, and it is lightly spiced with ground cinnamon. While this bread is traditionally served during the holidays, I enjoy it all year. It can be eaten plain or buttered. Toasted with butter and perhaps a slice of sharp cheddar cheese is also delicious.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Fruit Bread Recipe Card:
Fruit Bread Recipe
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour (atta) or organic whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida) or organic all purpose flour
- 5 tbsp regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar
- 1/2 tbsp dry active yeast or 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 tbsp custard powder or corn starch (corn flour)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tutti frutti
- 2.5 tbsp candied orange peels – chopped
- 3-4 glazed cherries – chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil or unsalted butter at room temperature. (i used sunflower oil)
- Heat the water.
- Stir in a pinch of sugar to the water.
- Incorporate the dry active yeast.
- Allow the yeast to froth for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt, sugar, tutti frutti, cherries, candied orange peels, and custard powder/corn starch.
- Knead in the yeast mixture and oil to make a smooth dough.
- If the dough appears to be dry, add more water.
- Grease the entire dough with oil to prevent it from drying out.
- Continue to store in the same bowl.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or a kitchen towel and set aside for 2 to 2 1/2 hours to rise.
- After 2 or 21/2 hours, punch the dough down and lightly knead it.
- Grease or line a 9 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Form the dough into a loaf shape.
- Cover and leave for 35-45 minutes, or until the loaf has risen again.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit before beginning to bake.
- 45-50 minutes in the oven
- Remove the loaf while it is still hot and place it on a wired tray or stand.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- These fruit bread slices pair nicely with tea or coffee.
- You can even top them with butter (vegan or dairy) and eat them.
- To begin, instead of maida, use wheat flour to make a healthy cake.
- Also, add dry fruits such as dates, cashews, and walnuts to make it more nutritious and rich.
- In addition, to bake in microwave convection mode, pre-heat and bake at 180°F for 40 minutes. and to bake in a cooker, see how to bake in a cooker.
- If you’re serving to children, substitute butter for the oil.
- Finally, refrigerated tutti frutti cake keeps for a week.
Is Fruit Cake a bad thing?
Fruit and nuts for fruitcake must be dried or soaked in sugar before being used. All of that is crammed into a hefty cake. Fruitcake doesn’t go bad for a long time because of the sugar. Some recipes call for the cake to be soaked in alcohol or stored in a cloth soaked in alcohol.
What exactly does the phrase “fruit cake” mean?
1 : a dense cake with nuts, dried or candied fruits, and spices 2 : nuttiness 6a. Sentences with Synonyms Find Out More About Fruitcake.
What does fruit cake taste like?
A fruitcake should be rich, with flavours of dried fruit, spices, and alcohol. It should have a moist texture rather than being dry and crusty.
What is the distinction between a fruit cake and a Christmas cake?
What’s the Distinction Between Fruit Cake and Christmas Pudding? … The ingredients are another distinction between fruit cake and Christmas cake. Fruit cake and Christmas pudding both contain dried fruits and nuts, but fruit cake contains butter to keep them together, whereas Christmas pudding contains eggs and suet.
What does it mean to be as nutty as a fruitcake?
Mary is as insane as a fruitcake if she thinks she can get away with it. The adjective nutty, which means “crazy,” was first used in 1821; the similarity to fruitcake, which literally contains nuts and fruit, was first used in 1935.
What other words can you use to describe fruit cake?
Fruitcake has 8 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words on this page, including crackpot, crank, nut, nut-case, screwball, chocolate-cake, chocolate-mousse, and sauerkraut.
Why do we eat fruitcake during the holidays?
Why is fruitcake such a traditional holiday treat? According to the New York Times, fruitcake is a descendant of satura, a food enjoyed by ancient Romans that consisted of barley, pomegranate seeds, nuts, and raisins held together with honey. Some believe that this dish was created to preserve fruit.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.
Also Read: Upma Recipe