Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe: Basically, it’s a simple creamy soup made with either full cream or milk, or a combination of the two, and topped with sliced mushrooms. Mushroom soup is a delicious appetiser that is frequently served before the main course meal at lunch and dinner.
What is it about this Mushroom Soup that sets it apart from the rest? Every bite will be flavoured with mushrooms. As strange as it may sound, most mushroom soups are nothing more than mushroom bits floating in a generically flavoured creamy soup broth. But this one is 100% mushroom flavour – right down to the last spoonful!
A classic home-made cream of mushroom soup recipe can’t be beat for deep earthy flavours, especially when it’s ready in minutes. After trying our recipe, you’ll never open another can of mushroom soup again!
You’ll love how simple it is to make! Walking into the kitchen to assemble a few ingredients, only to emerge with a warm creamy bowl of comforting soup in minutes.
Swiss Brown / cremini mushrooms have a stronger mushroom flavour than regular white / button mushrooms but make the soup browner. So I like to use a combination of both Swiss Brown and standard white mushrooms. This gives you the best of both worlds: an intense mushroom flavour with an elegant pale cream colour rather than a (very) brown one!
(Fun fact: White/button, Swiss Brown/cremini, and portobello mushrooms are all the same mushroom – they’re just at different stages of the life cycle.) This is a true storey!)
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe Card:
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 200-300 grams button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms or 0.5 pounds button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup onions or 1 small to medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf) or bay leaf
- 1-2 pinch ground nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk whole or full fat at room temperature
- 6 tbsp cream low fat, about 25% to 30% fat (i used amul cream).
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander leaves (dhania patta) or any fresh soft herbs like thyme or basil
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
- salt as required
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley – can also use the same herb you add in the soup for garnishing like coriander, thyme or basil
Onion and Garlic Saute
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter.
- Sauté the bay leaf for 2 to 3 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Combine the finely chopped onions and garlic in a mixing bowl.
- Saute the onions until they soften and become translucent.
Mushroom Cooking For Mushroom Soup
- Sauté the sliced or chopped mushrooms until they begin to release water.
- Cook until the water evaporates and the mushrooms turn a light golden colour.
- On a low to medium-low heat, add the flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. The raw flour odour should dissipate.
- Then, mix in freshly crushed black pepper.
How to Make Mushroom Soup
- First, add the water, then the milk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the soup to come to a gentle simmer on a low to medium-low heat first.
- The mushroom soup would begin to thicken as well. At regular intervals, stir the mixture.
- Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the soup thickens.
- Then stir in the cream and parsley.
- Simmer the mushroom soup for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Finally, stir in the ground nutmeg powder.
- Turn off the heat and ladle the soup into individual serving bowls.
- Serve the cream of mushroom soup, garnished with parsley or coriander, steaming hot.
- Use fresh, room-temperature milk. You can also warm or heat the milk before adding it.
- You can add a little extra black pepper powder to the soup to increase the heat and warmth. Make use of freshly ground or powdered black pepper.
- Nutmeg can be left out.
- The recipe can easily be cut in half, doubled, or tripled.
- Instead of button mushrooms, try baby portabella or cremini mushrooms.
- Finally,creamy mushroom soup taste great when served, next day, as thet turn more creamy.
Is mushroom soup healthy?
Yes, this soup is beneficial to people who have heart problems.
Mushrooms are low in sodium and are suitable for people with high blood pressure. Because mushrooms are low in calories and we used low fat milk, this soup has only 76 calories and is ideal for weight loss.
What is the origin of the name “cream of mushroom soup”?
The basic recipe for this soup calls for thinning the flour roux, which serves as the soup’s base, with milk or cream. The soup’s distinctive smooth and creamy texture gives it its name and distinguishes it from other mushroom soups.
Is it safe to consume cream of mushroom soup?
If you want to eat cream of mushroom soup on its own, Heikkinen says homemade is the best option because it tastes good and is low in sodium and additives. If you prefer a less fatty version, Recipes That Crock has one made with butter, milk, mushrooms, flour, and chicken or beef broth.
Is there a difference between cream of mushroom soup and creamy mushroom soup?
Dehydrated cream adds a creamy flavour to cream of mushroom soup. There is no dairy in golden mushroom soup. It does contain tomato paste and a small amount of wine, giving it a more refined French flavour.
Is it easy to digest mushroom soup?
It’s also a great way to get more veggies into your diet without having to chew as much as you would with a salad. It is also less difficult to digest. Soups get an extra point. Mushrooms can be grown all year and are high in vitamin C, which is great for boosting the immune system.
Is it safe to consume condensed soup?
A warm bowl of condensed soup is the ideal dipping treat for a variety of nibbles and treats. There’s very little a condensed soup can’t complement, from crackers and tortilla crisps to pita bread and breadsticks. Make a batch for a barbecue or serve with a starter at a dinner party.
What is the distinction between mushroom and golden mushroom soup?
Unlike cream of mushroom soup, which has a thicker consistency and a lighter colour, Golden Mushroom Soup has a beef and mushroom flavour that can be used to make sauces and savoury mixtures to be combined with other foods.
Is mushroom bisque the same as cream of mushroom?
What exactly is a bisque? Technically, it’s a French creamy seafood soup, but the term has come to refer to any creamy soup. Consider this a recipe for authentic, homemade cream of mushroom soup.
How many carbohydrates are there in mushroom bisque?
1 cup of Wild Mushroom Bisque contains 12g of carbohydrates, 3g of protein, 12g of fat, and 170 calories.
Is Campbell’s mushroom soup suitable for a Keto diet?
This low-carb, gluten-free, keto-friendly Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is ideal for those Thanksgiving casseroles Grandma used to make. Replace one can of Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup with one cup of this Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.
Also Read: Tomato Soup Recipe