Strawberry Cream Cake Recipe: Impress your family and friends with a delicious egg-free version of a creamy sponge cake sandwiched with macerated strawberries, whipped cream, and frosted with whipped cream.
This is a rich, creamy cake that is ideal for special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. You can make the entire cake a day ahead of time and store it in the fridge to prevent the sliced strawberries on top from drying out.
Strawberries and Cream Cake combines layers of white cake with fresh strawberry filling and whipped cream for a truly divine dessert recipe that is a year-round favourite. This classic combination for one of the best birthday party or picnic desserts doesn’t get any simpler or more perfect than this.
About Strawberry: The garden strawberry is a widely grown hybrid species of the genus Fragaria, collectively known as the strawberries, which are cultivated worldwide for their fruit. The fruit is widely appreciated for its characteristic aroma, bright red color, juicy texture, and sweetness
Can you get allergies from strawberry? (from wikipedia)
Some people experience an anaphylactoid reaction to eating strawberries. The most common form of this reaction is oral allergy syndrome, but symptoms may also mimic hay fever or include dermatitis or hives, and, in severe cases, may cause breathing problems. Proteomic studies indicate that the allergen may be tied to a protein for the red anthocyanin biosynthesis expressed in strawberry ripening, named Fra a1 (Fragaria allergen1). Homologous proteins are found in birch pollen and apple, suggesting that people may develop cross-reactivity to all three species.
White-fruited strawberry cultivars, lacking Fra a1, may be an option for strawberry allergy sufferers. Since they lack a protein necessary for normal ripening by anthocyanin synthesis of red pigments, they do not turn the mature berries of other cultivars red. They ripen but remain white, pale yellow or “golden”, appearing like immature berries; this also has the advantage of making them less attractive to birds. A virtually allergen-free cultivar named ‘Sofar’ is available.
And you can also visit other categories such as:
Strawberry Cream Cake Recipe Card:
Strawberry Cream Cake Recipe
For the Simple Vanilla Cake
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup melted butter or oil
- 3/4 cup organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar – add as required * check notes
- 3 tbsp yogurt (curd or dahi – dairy or vegan ) + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder or half of a vanilla bean – scraped
For the Cream Frosting and Filling
- 200 ml whipping cream – use cream which has at least 30% fat
- 4 to 5 tbsp icing sugar or as required
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 to 200 grams fresh strawberries
- 3 to 4 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar or as required
Making an Eggless Vanilla Cake
- In a mixing bowl or pan, combine the all-purpose flour/maida, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Just make sure you have everything ready because you need to be quick enough to mix the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 6 or 7-inch baking dish with butter or oil. You can also line the pan with butter paper and grease it with oil or butter.
- Melt some butter in a small saucepan or microwave.
- You'll need about 1/2 cup of melted butter. Simply melt the butter. There is no need to heat it.
- Add the sugar to the melted butter while it is still warm or slightly hot.
- Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Now, in a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the 3 tbsp yoghurt and 1 tbsp water until smooth.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar Then stir in the baking soda.
- Pour in the sieved flour the butter-sugar mixture, 1/2 cup water, and the frothing yogurt-vinegar-baking soda mixture.
- Pour in the vanilla extract.
- Be quick enough to fold the batter and ensure that it is lump-free. Don't fold too many times.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased baking dish.
- Shake and tap the sides of the pan to release air bubbles.
- Place the pan on the centre rack of a preheated oven.
- Continue to heat the bottom and top elements of the oven.
- Bake at 180°C for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- If the top of the vanilla cake browns too quickly, cover it with aluminium foil or butter paper.
- Allow the vanilla cake to cool for 7-8 minutes at room temperature.
- Then, using oven mitts, carefully remove the vanilla cake and place it on a wired tray or rack.
- After the eggless vanilla cake has cooled, you can serve it as is or use it to make pastries or gateau.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before preparing the icing.
Getting the Icing and Filling Ready
- Rinse the strawberries thoroughly and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Keep about 5-6 small to medium strawberries in the refrigerator for decoration.
- The remaining strawberries should be hulled and chopped.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped strawberries and 3 to 4 tbsp sugar.
- The amount of sugar used here is determined by the sweetness of the strawberries.
- Combine the sugar and strawberries in a mixing bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30-40 minutes to macerate. They can also be kept overnight.
- Whip the cream, icing sugar, and vanilla extract in a stand mixer fitted with the wired whip blade on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- If necessary, taste the cream and add more sugar if necessary.
- To whip the cream, you can also use a hand-held electric beater.
- The cream should have stiff peaks, which means that when you turn the bowl, the cream should not fall down.
Making a Strawberry Cream Cake:
- With a serrated knife, carefully cut the cake into two equal halves from the centre.
- Brush lightly with the syrup from the chilled macerated strawberries on one half of the cake.
- Distribute the chopped strawberries evenly on top of the cake.
- Spread a second layer of whipped cream evenly over the cake.
- Continue with the other cake slice.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream evenly over the cake using a palette knife or spatula.
- Refrigerate the cake for 2 to 3 hours to allow the cream icing to set.
- Set aside the strawberries that had been chilled for decorating the cake.
- Remove the cake and garnish with fresh strawberry slices.
- Serve the strawberry cream cake right away.
- You can also keep it covered in the fridge and serve it later.
- It's best to eat this strawberry cream cake within a day or two.
Instead of macerating the strawberries, you can cook them with sugar. The amount of sugar used can be adjusted based on the sweetness of the strawberries.
WHAT IS THE FORMAL OF STRAWBERRY CAKE?
Strawberry cake is a cake with strawberries as the main ingredient. Strawberries can be used in the cake batter, on top of cakes, and in the frosting of a strawberry cake.
WHERE DID THE STRAWBERRY CAKE COME FROM?
Strawberry shortcake dessert has a long history, dating back to around 1847 in the United States, according to food historians. The first recipe discovered is for “Strawberry Cake” in Miss Leslie’s Ladies New Receipt Book. The “strawberry cake” is, however, very similar to what is now known as “strawberry shortcake.”
HOW AHEAD OF TIME CAN THIS CAKE BE MADE?
The finished, assembled cake can be made up to 4 hours ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. While several of the cake components can be made ahead of time (see recipe notes for details), it’s best to assemble them as close to serving time as possible so the strawberries and cream taste as fresh as possible.
HOW LONG CAN THE STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM STAY ON THE CAKE?
It will stay well on the cake for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH LEFTOVERS?
Refrigerate in an airtight container. However, because the cake contains fresh, cut-up fruit, it tastes best the day it is made.
WILL THE STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND THE SUMMER HEAT AND HUMIDITY?
It’s much more durable than regular whipped cream, but to be safe, avoid exposing the cake to extreme weather conditions. On hot and humid days, store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Keep the cake at a cool room temperature.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and comment how it was 🙂 You can also Sign up for my email newsletter for more delicious vegetarian recipes.
Also Read: Eggless Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe