Poha Recipe-Aloo Poha Recipe: A simple, healthy breakfast recipe popular in northern Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Telangana. It’s made with flattened rice, diced potatoes, finely chopped onions, peanuts, and a variety of herbs and spices.
Poha is a popular and widely prepared dish in most Indian states. The method of preparation may differ, and each region may introduce subtle changes to the recipe’s preparation. Furthermore, it is known by various names such as pohay, pohe, usal, and even kahara avalakki.
Morning breakfast is always difficult for most families who are always pressed for time while looking for a good healthy breakfast.The best part about this aloo poha recipe is that you can skip or mix and match the ingredients, so you’ll never get bored. Even the onions and potatoes can be skipped at a time to create a unique poha recipe.
While the aloo poha recipe is extremely simple, there are a few tips and tricks to make it perfect. First and foremost, poha soaking is critical, and it is entirely dependent on the brand and thickness of the poha. Essentially, the flattened rice must be soft while still holding its shape and not mushy. Second, if you are short on time to cook the potatoes, microwave the chopped potatoes for 2 minutes before adding them to the batata poha recipe. Before you microwave it, make sure to sprinkle it with water. Finally, for a more flavorful poha, serve it warm with farsan, bombay mixture, or even dahi/curd/yogurt.
poha recipe | aloo poha recipe | aloo kandha poha recipe | batata poha recipe
- 1 cup thick poha / beaten rice / flattened rice / aval / avalakki
- water for soaking
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- pinch of hing / asafoetida
- few curry leaves / kadi patta
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 small potato (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- To begin, soak poha in a large bowl with enough water for 5 minutes.
- Poha would have become softer and easier to break after 5 minutes.
- Drain the water from the poha. Poha should not be oversoaked because it will become mushy.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Gently combine and set aside.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a large kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, and curry leaves to taste.
- Allow for sputtering.
- Continue to sauté the onions until they change colour.
- Sauté the chilli and ginger until the raw smell goes away.
- Add potato, salt, and turmeric to taste. Cook for a minute.
- Cover for 5 minutes and cook potatoes on low heat.
- Add soaked poha and roasted peanuts as well.
- Mix gently to ensure that the poha absorbs the turmeric colour.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes, making sure the poha cooks and absorbs the spices.
- Turn off the stove. Combine the coriander leaves and lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
- Finally, serve hot aloo kandha poha with masala chai.
- To begin, do not oversoak poha as it will become mushy.
- Also, make sure to thoroughly cook the potatoes; alternatively, use boiled potatoes to shorten the cooking time.
- Garnish with grated coconut for an extra rich flavour.
- Finally, roasted peanuts give poha, aloo kandha poha, or aloo poha recipe a crunchy bite.
Also Read: Avocado Smoothie Recipe