Broccoli Soup Recipe: On cold winter days, cream of broccoli soup is the ideal comfort food. This classic soup recipe is easy enough for a quick weeknight dinner and delicious enough for your next family meal, ready in less than thirty minutes and made almost entirely in one pot.
Smooth, mouthwatering, and creamy this quick and easy cream of broccoli soup is made in just one pot and takes less than thirty minutes.
Making a vegan broccoli “cheese” soup at home is simple, delicious, and far healthier than ordering broccoli soup from a restaurant. This broccoli soup recipe is also dairy-free and paleo. As you can see from the image below, making a delicious homemade soup doesn’t require a lot of ingredients!
This creamy vegan broccoli soup is exactly what we’re looking for right now. Flavorful, creamy, and packed with veggies, it’s the ideal complement to a whole grain sandwich, salad, or even a big ol’ crusty bun or piece of bread with a healthy dose of vegan butter.
About Broccoli: Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica) is an edible green plant in the cabbage family (family Brassicaceae, genus Brassica) whose large flowering head, stalk and small associated leaves are eaten as a vegetable. Broccoli is classified in the Italica cultivar group of the species Brassica oleracea. Broccoli has large flower heads, usually dark green in color, arranged in a tree-like structure branching out from a thick stalk which is usually light green. The mass of flower heads is surrounded by leaves. Broccoli resembles cauliflower, which is a different, but closely related cultivar group of the same Brassica species.
Broccoli Soup Recipe
CREAMY VEGAN BROCCOLI SOUP
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or olive oil 60 ml
- 5 cups broccoli, chopped 360 grams ( approx. 2 heads)
- 2/3 cups chopped carrots 100 grams ( (approx. 2 carrots)
- 2/3 cups chopped celery 100 grams ( (approx. 2 ribs)
- 2/3 cups chopped onion 100 grams ( (approx. 1 onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tbsp flour 65 grams
- 4 cups vegetable broth 1000 ml
- 2 cups original or unsweetened non-dairy milk 500 ml ( (I recommend original cashew)
- 3/4 cups full-fat canned coconut milk 185 ml ( (or sub with more non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cups nutritional yeast flakes 20 grams ( (or sub with vegan cheese shreds)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste 2.5 ml
- Black pepper, to taste
BROWNED BROCCOLI "CROUTONS"
- 1 cups broccoli florets 70 grams
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 ml
- Salt, to taste
CREAMY VEGAN BROCCOLI SOUP
- Warm vegan butter or olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Combine the broccoli, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and just tender.
- Flour the vegetables and set aside. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and nondairy milk gradually to avoid lumps. Combine the coconut milk and nutritional yeast in a mixing bowl. Simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat, or until the vegetables are tender.
- To your liking, blend the soup. I recommend smoothing out 1/2 to 2/3 of the soup.
- Adjust the consistency with vegetable broth or nondairy milk if desired. Mix in the white wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt, pepper, vinegar, etc (and if desired, sugar if using unsweetened non-dairy milk – refer to recipe notes)
BROWNED BROCCOLI CROUTONS
- Warm the olive oil in a separate saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and add the broccoli florets. Cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli has a nice brown/black edge on at least one side. Take the pan off the heat and set it aside.
This Healthy Vegan Broccoli Soup is delicious, easy to make, nutritious, creamy, and filling. I think this is the best cream of broccoli soup I’ve ever had! I sincerely hope you enjoy this vegan soup recipe, and please let me know if you have any questions.
Also Read: Broccoli Pulao Recipe